When it comes to finding things to do over the year, often there are annual events that we can rely upon to provide, fun, entertainment, and experiences like no other. Whether you want to involve the family or do something with friends or as a couple, there will be events that take place throughout the year that will help you do that. But what annual events can you enjoy in the South of England? Here are the ones to look out for.
What annual events can you enjoy in the South of England?
If you are looking for a wonderful day out or an event where you can really put your Gladrags on then look no further than attending Royal Ascot. This is the horsing event of the year where you get the chance to see the royal procession and enjoy a fabulous day at the races. There is usually entertainment in the evening, and plenty to enjoy at the racecourse aside from horse racing. Royal Ascot usually takes place at the beginning of June and is a five-day event.
Another Horse Racing event and one that the Royals love to attend is the Epsom Derby. This is your chance to dress up and enjoy not only a day at the races but soak up the incredible atmosphere that you can enjoy at the racecourse. It takes place in June every year and is a highlight on the racing calendar as well as one of the most well-known annual events in the country.
Henley Royal Regatta
Henley Royal Regatta is a rowing event that takes place yearly on the River Thames. Here you will get to dress up and experience a different sort of event. It takes place at Henley-On-Thames and is a fabulous opportunity to enjoy a great sport. The event was first established back in 1839. It usually takes place from the end of June to the beginning of July.
One half of the famous Reading and Leeds festival, the Reading festival takes place over a weekend in August. One of the most successful annual events at this festival you can get the opportunity to see some incredible music acts as well as enjoy live entertainment and lots of places to eat and drink. You can attend for the day but many festival-goers prefer to book a weekend ticket and camp on-site.
Christmas is a magical time, and each year there are an array of Christmas markets that you can enjoy. The Christmas markets usually have various different stalls selling anything from candles and foot items to Christmas decorations and trinkets. You can also enjoy a great selection of food and drink. In the South of England, there are many different Christmas markets that take place. These include:
- Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park in London – This is a great event at Christmas with a market, stalls and lots of family fun to enjoy.
- Southbank Winter Festival – London
- Rochester Christmas Markets – Kent
Sometimes you can’t beat a good old-fashioned beer festival and London is the capital of England so you can imagine there are many to choose from. However, you can find some of the best offerings below where you can sample craft beers and enjoy different options from all over the world.
- Guildford Beer Festival – Usually taking place in July
- Streatlife – Alexandra Palace, London
- East Malling Beer Festival – Kent
There has been a huge rise when it comes to events that are family-friendly. While festivals used to only be something that you might have attended in your late teens and early twenties, you can now bring the kids along and enjoy live music and entertainment while keeping in mind that it is something the kids will enjoy. Here are a couple of ones that you could attend in the South of England.
- Elderflower Fields South – This takes place usually towards the end of May. Designed for younger children this is an immersive festival that gets everyone involved.
- Latitude – Latitude is one of the best family festivals and takes place in Suffolk. You will usually find that the date falls towards the end of July. You can camp and experience lots of entertainment, fun, and live music that the whole family will enjoy.
- Standon Calling – Taking place towards the end of July each year, Standon Calling is a fabulous family-friendly festival. With live entertainment and appearances from the team at Horrible Histories and celebrities like Mr Motivator, the whole family will enjoy this special event.
Hopefully, this has given you plenty of inspiration for some of the annual events that take place in the South of England.